Research and Teaching
My present research activities include the application of PET-MRI for monitoring and predicting response to radiation therapy for breast cancer and pancreatic cancer. I am interested in PET-MRI methods of assessing tumor hypoxia and predicting immune response to radiotherapy. In addition, I collaborate with Dr. Donna Goldhawk in developing and applying MRI methods for tracking cells based on iron-related contrast. I am actively involved in teaching both undergraduate and graduate courses in the Department of Medical Biophysics at Western. My graduate teaching focuses on MRI principles and MRI physics.
- Mouawad M, Biernaski H, Brackstone M, Lock M, Kornecki A, Shmuilovich O, Nachum IB, Prato FS, Thompson RT, Gaede S, Gelman N. The effect of registration on voxel-wise Tofts model parameters and uncertainties from DCE-MRI of early stage breast cancer patients using 3DSlicer. Journal of Digital Imaging. Oct. 2020; 33(5):1065-1072.
- Mouawad M, Biernaski H, Brackstone M, Lock M, Yaremko B, Shmuilovich O, Kornecki A, Nachum IB, Muscedere G, Lynn K, Prato FS, Thompson RT, Gaede S, Gelman N. DCE-MRI assessment of response to neoadjuvant SABR in early stage breast cancer: Comparisons of single versus three fraction schemes and two different imaging time delays post-SABR. Clinical and Translational Radiation Oncology March 2020; 21:25–31
- Alizadeh K, Sun Q, McGuire T, Thompson RT, Prato FS, Koropatnick J, Gelman N, Goldhawk DE. Hepcidin-mediated Iron Regulation in P19 Cells is Detectable by Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Scientific Reports. February 2020; 10: 3163.
- Guidolin K, Yaremko B, Lynn K, Gaede S, Kornecki A, Muscedere G, BenNachum I, Shmuilovich O. Mouawad M, Yu E, Sexton T, Gelman N, Moiseenko V, Brackstone M, Lock M. Stereotactic image-guided neoadjuvant ablative single-dose radiation, then lumpectomy, for early breast cancer: the SIGNAL prospective single-arm trial of single-dose radiation therapy. Current Oncology: June 2019; 26 (3): e334-e340.
- Liu L, Alizadeh K, Donnelly SC, Dassanayake P, Hou TT, McGirr R, Thompson RT, Prato FS, Gelman N, Hoffman L, Goldhawk DE. (2019) MagA expression attenuates iron export activity in undifferentiated multipotent P19 cells. PLoS ONE: June 2019 14(6): e0217842.
- Mouawad M, Biernaski H, Brackstone M, Lock M, Yaremko B, Sexton T, Yu E, Dinniwell RE, Lynn K, Hajdok G, Prato FS, R. Thompson RT, Gelman N. Gaede S. Reducing the dose of gadolinium-based contrast agents for DCE-MRI guided SBRT: The effects on inter and intra observer variability for preoperative target volume delineation in early-stage breast cancer patients. Radiotherapy and Oncology February 2019; 131: 60–65